Sunday, April 7, 2013

What have I been upto?

I can honestly say it has been productive. I can't even say that I am working away from the ipad. I have been doing some experimenting to move from a passive consumer of content on the tablet to a creator who engages with the greater world. It was not a straight path, especially with the setting up of twitter feeds, but I feel I am moving forward. A brief recap of the Grande experiment!

Writing

I have been experimenting with the blogsy app, which is a very excellent blog poster and I recommend anyone to pick it up if they have an ipad. I currently am working on three blogs and one tumblr, but I can do all the posting through blogsy. It allows you to drop in pictures, videos, and links with a gesture, and tends to take away the excuse that the tools are in the way of the art.

The other writing has been done through iwriter. A smart, simple interface where your word processing experience has been distilled to the essence of writing; getting letters typed onto a page. All distractions have been taken away and so one is left with the work being the only hurdle to face. Currently, I am crafting through a novel there. My first novel project of any substance since Jericho the Ungermly Germ (which quietly begs for a rewrite....maybe in summer). About 16,000 words in right now and emotionally I feel I am almost done the early setup and am ready to get into the main plot.

I am taking a page from Becky, and am going to attempt to send out more fan letters. There is a lot of things I like, some being by artists early in their careers, and I should really let them know they are awesome (which is probably a good life lessons-- you should always find the awesome in others and remind them of it). I plan to do one this week for Lexxy Douglas, an illustrator whose work is amazing and who created a wonderful strip in the last elimination round of Strip Search (the only reality show I have ever watched).

 

Drawing

The biggest play/experiment that I have been getting drawing on the ipad. I have been mostly using two apps, Sketchbook Pro and Paper. Whereas Sketchbook Pro is quite expansive

To see where I'm at, it is at one of my other blogs, Trying Art with Friends , personally I feel I am still going through my awkward stage of drawing on the ipad, but I have found the ipad drawing tools exciting and look forward to getting better with them.

Cleaning

The last one will have no presence on the Internet, but we have been actively cleaning out condo in preparation of our second child. I am a pack rat and an interest moth, so this is a very stressful process as I find memories or tools for desires of my past that are hard to part with. That said, I didn't have as much trouble getting rid of the old receipts and to do lists, its more the books and idea papers are harder. The compromise is that we are going digtial for books (1,000 digital books take up no space) and converting my notes and writing to digital format. It will be the "grinding" task of 2013.

Gaming

I have been a little busy to get any major game sessions, but I have got some Love letter in, as well as a couple games of Hive. I am trying to convince my brother to run a game of Twilight Imperium. I will be going to Snakes and Lattes later this month probably.

 

Finally there was a crusie in there, an uptick of work at work, a GGK book signing, and general living. I would say I have been fairly productive, despite some side tracks watching You Tube television shows, reading twitter feed, plants vs. zombie, and Bastion.

That the start of Spring in a nutshell, a promise of more posts (as always)

No comments:

Post a Comment