Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A fine line between courage and creepiness

I have taken up a swimming again. It is still early days, so the muscles are still sore as my body is still adjusting to the public pool's chorine levels. It is times like this that I miss the long summer of swimming in Georgian bay. It was cold, but always fresh. Still, it is one of my preferred forms of exercise and I should be in solid swimming form by the summer. Perhaps I will consider the triathlon that M is often talking about.

The subject line refers to one of the funny characters at the pool. I don't know his name (actually I believe few of the male lane swimmers know each other's name), but he's been there every time I swam this year. He is a short, fit man with short hair hidden by the swimming cap. Judging from his accent he is French, but I am uncertain if he is from Quebec or France proper. He is a very good swimmer, alternating between full out swimming in the fast lane, to doing hard swimming exercises in the medium lane (such as crossing his legs around a swim board and powering forward with only his arms).

What is amusing about him is that he has no social fear, possessing a bold courage to strike up a conversation with anyone. Unfortunately it is a bravo without tack. Watching him interact with men in the change room, and women at the pool, you see the trapped look cross the faces of the handsome lads and beautiful ladies who struggle to end the conversation. I wonder if he knows, or cares that they don't really want to engage, the interaction being based on the politeness of others. Perhaps he likes beauty and wants to be close to it. Or many he doesn't realize he's old.

Regardless, I leave the pool every time thinking that the man is a walking short story waiting to happen.

s

1 comment: