Friday, March 9, 2012

Circulation Madness

Dear Henry,

In lighter news than the crisis of my soul, I have just come off a crazy request marathon with the Toronto library hold system. If you have any doubt that this is the golden age of the book, just use the Internet and the library for a week and you will discover that we live in wonderful, chaotic times. Within seconds of finishing an article, one can reserve the writer's book, the four books mentioned in their article as well as three general books on the subject. Plus, you can get the movie that inspired the pithy headline of the article. The downside is that they all are over 300 pages and there is no way to consume before the deadline.Time is not available for rent as of yet (although Justin advises against this idea).

The funny thing is that I have been doing this for years and I never seem to learn my lesson. The bought books almost seem to give of an aura of disdain as these transient volumes pass through our home. I'm also convinced that it slows my actual reading.

Still, they are wonderful books.

S

 

No comments:

Post a Comment