Thursday, December 13, 2012

The rhythm of life

It is weird to get of the start of December. There is a sense of dread that when I consider the past 365 days at the end of the year and worry that it will not all add up to a positive. This is a knee jerk reaction as careful thought reveals quite a full and interesting year.

I traveled to the Caribbean on a cruise ship. A jam packed week of sun, Caribbean history, relaxation, and fun with my daughter. I saw San Juan for the first time and scuba dived for the tenth time in my life (slowly but surely my experience grows). This was at the start of the year, the other bookend of travel was Las Vegas to celebrate a friend's wedding anniversary. I had been to Vegas ten years ago and was surprised by how much it has changed. Still has a lot of good food.

In between these trips, I held a cheese party, had our kitchen renovated, went it my first ever fan expo, got into board games, had a bathroom renovated, continued the 250 pages or less book club, started board game nights, read 20 books, got my child use to going to school, was vegan for a month, saw three plays, learned a bunch of stuff about my iPad, wrote 10,000 words of a novel (so far), and occasionally exercised.

My world seemed parallel to a world of the us election, the Syrian civil war, the toronto mayor fiasco. There is a sense that the world is working towards a new consensus, or perhaps I am old enough to see the shift sands one's view of the world is built on.

These are the big things, what can't be captured here, is the tons of little moments. The small revelations, the little observations, the simple laughs or smiles and slip in and out of most days. The times that only matter to you. If you summed all these you would have a collection of short stories, not a novel.

In the end, all this adds up to a good year and quite a challenge to top in 2013. It will be fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment