Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The wonders of jury duty

It is a weird sensation to be on jury duty. Essentially it is a lot of waiting. A waiting for an event to not happen. I hope it doesn't make me a bad citizen that I don't want to be on a jury. I lack a desire for legal details that everyone else who I have discussed the matter with seem to possess. I will do my civic duty, but it is not an activity i would enjoy. Apparently I prefer policy development rather than the creation of legal precedent. A preference to policy implementation than seeing the daily details of the law.

The other oddness is the forced slowness. I am in a room of waiting with no reliable Internet and so I can sit, think, read, and write. A rare chance to be alone without responsibility. No one to follow up with, no tasks to be done. There is a certain amount of enjoyment in that.

If I had food it would be perfect.

S

Update: I wasn't selected. After such a long wait, I must confess that I was a bit put out to be abruptly dismissed without any context as to why I wasn't chosen. It's an odd feeling to have since I didn't want to be selected.

 

1 comment:

  1. I was also rejected for jury duty. At the time I was unemployed and adding *another* rejection made me really sad even though I too would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete